Žiče Charterhouse is a mysterious beauty which has been stirring spirits for centuries. Once between the forgotten years of 1160 and 1165, the Margrave of Styria, Count Ottokar III., who liked to visit Slovenske Konjice, ordered the construction of French Carthusians' home in the remote valley of St. John the Baptist. Since then the Žiče Charterhouse has been awakening specific energy. The respectful serenity and personalized peace rule there. It is a relaxing trip.For travelers who use our world travel planner, Loče pri Poljčanah holidays become easier to arrange, with trips to the Žiče Charterhouse and other attractions mapped out and timetabled.
Žiče Charterhouse can be seen almost as if from the times of Ottokar III. Put on the smart glasses and turn back time. You will see the:
- parts of the Charterhouse that are no longer present,
- secret Carthusians,
- revived legends about the origin of the monastery.
An interesting fact: According to the legend of its origin, the monastery is also called Zajcklošter. The story of the legend will be revealed to you while wearing the smart glasses.
Explore with Audio Guides:
- 4 permanent exhibitions about the history of the Charterhouse,
- Otakar's sparkling wine cellar with ripening sparkling wine of Zlati grič,
- Pottery studio (tradition with display of the handicrafts or a workshop),
- Herbal Pharmacy with herbs from the Žiče Charterhouse,
- Lush herbal gardens and the Gastuž Inn from 1467, a renowned restaurant with monastery dishes and beautiful weddings.
Although the life of monks in Žiče Charterhouse had died after the decree of the Emperor Joseph II., today this divine space is alive again. On Saturdays it is filled with touching wedding celebrations and some Fridays in the summer are dedicated to quality concerts: Summer music evenings in Žiče Charterhouse.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
Žiče Charterhouse reviews
Great audio guide to tell the history of a very interesting site. Most of it is in ruins, but still easy to see understand what it once was. Like a lot of sites in Slovenia, this felt undiscovered...
Great audio guide to tell the history of a very interesting site. Most of it is in ruins, but still easy to see understand what it once was. Like a lot of sites in Slovenia, this felt undiscovered... more »
Ruin of a monastery in a quite valley. Some parts left like they apear after nearly 1.000 years if existence, some parte are rebuild. Gives you a great impression of its architecture. Learned some...
Ruin of a monastery in a quite valley. Some parts left like they apear after nearly 1.000 years if existence, some parte are rebuild. Gives you a great impression of its architecture. Learned some... more »
Well this could be the nice place but almost every part including the church is under the construction or with no entry. And of course you have to pay the tickets.
Nice monsatery. Ruiny, but still an interesting hidden gem.
Plan your trip to Loče pri Poljčanah
- Get a personalized tripA full day by day itinerary based on your preferences
- Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
- Book itChoose from the best hotels and activities. Up to 50% off
- Manage itEverything in one place. Everyone on the same page.
Trips in Žiče Charterhouse by other users
15 days in Slovenia BY A USER FROM BELGIUM Bohinjsko Jezero Portorož Ljubljana 2 days in Rogla-Pohorje BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Zreče 8 days in Velenje BY A USER FROM GERMANY Roman Necropolis Hell Cave Tito Statue 6 days in Maribor BY A USER FROM FRANCE Jewish Tower Franciscan Church Big Guy's Wine Tour 16 days in Slovenia BY A USER FROM FRANCE Ljubljana Velenje Portorož 3 days in Rogla-Pohorje BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Zreče