The Parish of Konjice, with its venerable history, goes so far back that it is called Archdiocese. It separated itself from the Parish of Hoče between 1085 and 1096.Ask Inspirock to suggest an itinerary and make planning a trip to Slovenske Konjice fast, fun, and easy.
The proof of the age of the Parish of Konjice is first mentioned in 1146 in the Charter of the Patriarch of Pellegrinus of Aquileia. On the basis of it, Slovenske Konjice celebrated its 870th anniversary a few years ago.
The first Konjice church definitely stood before the Charter of Pellegrinus, and the new one is its successor.
The Parish of Konjice has the status of Archdiocese because of Dr. Michael Napotnik, the local who was Prince-Bishop of Lavant. On the basis of the apostolic letter from Pope Pius X. in 1910, every Archpriest of Slovenske Konjice is entitled to the title of Archdeacon, according to which he may carry certain insignia of a bishop.
What does the Church of St. George have to offer:
- The main altar was once accompanied by the 12 side altars, only 5 of which are seen today.
- Attention is drawn to 4 statues in supernatural size: St. Peter, St. Paul, St. Jerome and St. John the Baptist.
- Particularly interesting are the stairs leading to the church choir in a housing, resting on one of the beams of the nave.
- On the outer wall of the chapel you can see the sundial.
- Several tombstones are built into the walls, including the epitaph of Ortolf of Konjice.
- It holds a preserved late Gothic mantle with the image of a mermaid and the year 1657.
- The initiative for the construction of the church and the establishment of the parish is attributed to the gentry of Konjice from the Old Castle on Konjiška gora.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
Parish Church of St. George reviews
In the end of old part of medieval town Slovenske Konjice, the church of St. George takes place. It was reconstructed in 18th centuary and that time were added baroque oltars.
In the end of old part of medieval town Slovenske Konjice, the church of St. George takes place. It was reconstructed in 18th centuary and that time were added baroque oltars. more »
Slovenske Konjice are medieval little city with preserved central part. It is a long square with a creek in the middle and old houses in two lines, leading to the parish Gothic church. Church is...
Slovenske Konjice are medieval little city with preserved central part. It is a long square with a creek in the middle and old houses in two lines, leading to the parish Gothic church. Church is... more »
Very nice calm and supportive community . The heart of slovenske Konjice
Plan your trip to Slovenske Konjice
- Get a personalized tripA full day by day itinerary based on your preferences
- Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
- Book itChoose from the best hotels and activities. Up to 50% off
- Manage itEverything in one place. Everyone on the same page.
Popular things to do in Slovenske Konjice
Trips in Parish Church of St. George by other users
2 days in Rogla-Pohorje BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Zreče 4 days in Rogla-Pohorje BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Zreče 4 days in Rogla-Pohorje BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Zreče 61 days in Slovenia BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Solčava Maribor Bohinjsko Jezero 45 days in Slovenia BY A USER FROM PORTUGAL Ljubljana Solčava Maribor 5 days in Ljubljana & Central Slovenia, Šentilj v Slovenskih Goricah & Slovenske Konjice BY A USER FROM UNITED KINGDOM Metlika Šentilj v Slovenskih Goricah Slovenske Konjice