Trip Planner: Slovenia / Styria Region / Slovenske Konjice / The Old Castle on Konjiška Mountain
The Old Castle on Konjiška gora rises mightily above the town. Due to its special position, it stands out from the greenery for several kilometers before arriving to Slovenske Konjice. Among its ruins, instead of the rustling of the forests, we almost hear the Konjice gentry, the first owners of the castle, and the infamous Ivan Erasmus Tattenbach, whose family had reigned in the castle for nearly 100 years. Take a look around the Dravinja Valley – it is difficult to find a more magnificent view.For travelers who use our online itinerary creator, Slovenske Konjice holidays become easier to arrange, with trips to the The Old Castle on Konjiška Mountain and other attractions mapped out and timetabled.
Three interesting facts:
1) The Old Castle on Konjiška gora is one of the oldest castles in Slovenia. It was first mentioned in the establishing charter of the Žiče Charterhouse in 1165, and it was certainly built much earlier.
2) The Old Castle of Konjice is considered a cultural monument of local importance.
3) It is one of the most eminent and largest buildings of that time in this part of Styria, comprising:
- the Romanesque Core,
- the Gothic masonry, defensive walls and five-pointed tower;
- the later constructions of residential buildings with Renaissance fortifications, including a bastion with 4-meter-thick walls.
When Prince Windischgrätz became the last owner of the Old Castle (and Trebnik Manor) in 1828, the building was already in ruins.
Surrounded by trees in the heart of Konjiška gora, just a few hundred meters above the Church of St. Anne, the Old Castle is a popular destination. Visit it:
- as a part of a longer hike from the town centre of Slovenske Konjice,
- by bicycle or a car past the Konjice cemetery along the gravel road,
- with a curious youngster as part of the Little Dragon's Educational Trail,
- while having a break on the way from Slovenske Konjice across Konjiška gora to the Žiče Charterhouse.
Tours to nearby attractions
BOOK WITH VIATOR Half-Day Mysteries of Submerged Villages from Velenje with Lunch
Tours from $302 ›
The Old Castle on Konjiška Mountain reviews
Pretty cool castle, dating from 1100s. It's free to enter, but, because of that, it's not in the best of shape. You can either walk up from the cemetery, about 20 minutes or you can actually drive up on a logging road, one way traffic. The castle offers great views overlooking Slovenske Konjice and Pohorje.
If you arrive to Sl. Konjice from Sl. Bistrica, you will notice an imposing tower above the town from quite far away. That is the Konjice castle, one of the oldest castles in Slovenia, built in the middle of 12th century. The mostly renovated gothic tower, a part seen from afar, was added in 14th century. The castle downfall started somewhere in 17th century when it was deserted and then slowly left mostly to ruin. If you are visiting Sl. Konjice, you can take a short walk from town up to the castle. On the other hand you can also drive a short but adventurous road to a small parking place just below the castle walls. There are no facilities here, except a parking place and small picnic place, but a few events are held on and around the castle throughout a year. There is a beautiful view from the castle yard walls below the tower, and also from some other walls. If you are rested enough, you can leave your car on the parking place and trek up the hill to the Stolpnik panorama tower on the top of "Konjiška gora" / "Konjice mountain". The tower is at about 1020 meters above the sea level, the castle itself is at about 500 meters. On the other - southern - side of the mountain there is a famous former monastery - "Žička Kartuzije" / "Žiče Charterhouse"
Plan your trip to Slovenske Konjice
- Get a personalized tripA full day by day itinerary based on your preferences
- Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
- Book itChoose from the best hotels and activities. Up to 50% off
- Manage itEverything in one place. Everyone on the same page.Know more
Popular things to do in Slovenske Konjice
Trips in The Old Castle on Konjiška Mountain by other users
8 days in Slovenia BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Rogaška Slatina Podčetrtek Rogatec 8 days in Lipica & Rogla-Pohorje BY A USER FROM SPAIN Lipica Zreče 32 days in Alpine Slovenia BY A USER FROM BELGIUM Bled Mozirje Maribor 14 days in Bled Area, Rogla-Pohorje & Ljubljana & Central Slovenia BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA Bled Slovenske Konjice Ljubljana 13 days in Ljubljana, Rogla-Pohorje & Bled Area BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA Ljubljana Loče pri Poljčanah Bled 3 days in Rogla-Pohorje BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Zreče