The Old Castle on Konjiška gora rises mightily above the town. Due to its special position, it stands out from the greenery for several kilometers before arriving to Slovenske Konjice. Among its ruins, instead of the rustling of the forests, we almost hear the Konjice gentry, the first owners of the castle, and the infamous Ivan Erasmus Tattenbach, whose family had reigned in the castle for nearly 100 years. Take a look around the Dravinja Valley – it is difficult to find a more magnificent view.For travelers who use our online itinerary creator, Slovenske Konjice holidays become easier to arrange, with trips to the The Old Castle on Konjiška Mountain and other attractions mapped out and timetabled.
Three interesting facts:
1) The Old Castle on Konjiška gora is one of the oldest castles in Slovenia. It was first mentioned in the establishing charter of the Žiče Charterhouse in 1165, and it was certainly built much earlier.
2) The Old Castle of Konjice is considered a cultural monument of local importance.
3) It is one of the most eminent and largest buildings of that time in this part of Styria, comprising:
- the Romanesque Core,
- the Gothic masonry, defensive walls and five-pointed tower;
- the later constructions of residential buildings with Renaissance fortifications, including a bastion with 4-meter-thick walls.
When Prince Windischgrätz became the last owner of the Old Castle (and Trebnik Manor) in 1828, the building was already in ruins.
Surrounded by trees in the heart of Konjiška gora, just a few hundred meters above the Church of St. Anne, the Old Castle is a popular destination. Visit it:
- as a part of a longer hike from the town centre of Slovenske Konjice,
- by bicycle or a car past the Konjice cemetery along the gravel road,
- with a curious youngster as part of the Little Dragon's Educational Trail,
- while having a break on the way from Slovenske Konjice across Konjiška gora to the Žiče Charterhouse.
The Old Castle on Konjiška Mountain reviews
Nice view and good for starting a tour to Skala. Ruins are kept in a good shape.
Plan your trip to Slovenske Konjice
Get a personalized tripA complete day by day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Book itChoose from the best hotels
and activities. Up to 50% off
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
Popular things to do in Slovenske Konjice
Trips to The Old Castle on Konjiška Mountain by other users
29 days in Mozirje BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Na Jasi Terme Čatež Jelenov Greben Homestead 7 days in Podčetrtek BY A USER FROM DENMARK Jelenov Greben Homestead Olimje Monastery Terme Olimia 4 days in Rogla-Pohorje BY A USER FROM SLOVENIA Zreče 59 days in Maribor BY A USER FROM SPAIN Akvarij in terarij Pyramid Archaeological Site Maribor Synagogue 35 days in Maribor BY A USER FROM GERMANY Jewish Tower Old Vine House Anton Martin Slomsek Monument 20 days in Brežice BY A USER FROM GERMANY Trška Gora Hill House of Living Heritage Spas